Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tastes of Colonel Fitzwilliam

Colonel Fitzwilliam’s tale is progressing nicely, but title wise is in an identity crisis. That will work itself out and that is not what I wanted to share with you today.
I did want to take a moment to share with you some insight into my Colonel Fitzwilliam. I say my,because 2012 may be the year of 3 different Colonel Fitzwilliam novels. Nancy Kelly, author of His Good Opinion is working on her yet untitled Colonel Fitzwilliam novel. Then there is Presumption by the wonderful Emily C.A.Snyder, whom also wrote the wickedly funny Nachtstürm Castle.
I believe my Colonel Fitzwilliam offering will perhaps be the darker of the three, but I could be wrong. Not to worry there will be plenty of romance for Colonel Fitzwilliam.
What did I imagine for Colonel Fitzwilliam?
Austen herself does not tell us much about Colonel Fitzwilliam, except that he is in the military and is “about thirty, not handsome, but in person and address most truly a gentleman”. Just the little that Austen says about Colonel Fitzwilliam leaves him open for a lot of development. Well, dear readers, I kidnapped him. I promise to give him back when I’m done, but until his tale is told then I am afraid he must stay with me.
Colonel Fitzwilliam’s tale begins after the end of the Napoleonic Wars and after a long, fruitful career he retired. Colonel Fitzwilliam is a changed man. He must navigate a world he has not lived in often enough because he was on various campaigns for the British Crown. The Colonel and his family must become reacquainted with each other. It all creates an interesting dynamic.
Perhaps, my favorite aspect of Colonel Fitzwilliam is the internal scars he carries. He was one of the few who made it home. The Colonel is dealing with the Regency equivalent of PTSD, except he could never admit to such a flaw because the closest Regency equivalent would be a medical condition known as hysteria. How is that a problem? Hysteria was largely considered a female disease which was abelieved to largely be the result of sexual dissatisfaction. In other words, men did not and could not suffer from feminine attributes. They acted like men: strong, commanding and infallible. Imagine how hard it is today for soldiers with PTSD and then imagine what it would have been like for Colonel Fitzwilliam.
A tough road for Colonel Fitzwilliam follows. As I mentioned previously, there is romance, but this is a story that deals with so much more than just finding a happy ending. At least that is what I believe. Once I release the Colonel into the wild I am sure I will hear all about how I did or did not succeed, but until then the little tidbits I do share will have to sustain your curiosity.
Are you intrigued by Colonel Fitzwilliam yet?
Finally, I want to share two more things with you. First, A peak at my chosen portrait of Colonel Fitzwilliam, which I hope serves to intrigue you. What do you think?




Secondly, a song which I think really highlights what might be the mindset of a soldier during the time. This song is placed in 1917, so somewhat past the Regency, but it’s beautiful and haunting. The lovely Niamh Parsons’s sings.



I hope you enjoyed a little insight into Colonel Fitzwilliam. Watch my blog, visit my Facebook page or wait for his book to find out more. J

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the sneak peek! Great pic!

Sophia Rose said...

Looking forward to the finished book. Love Col. Fitz! Thanks for the peek!