Friday, February 11, 2011

"..should I draw you the picture of my heart..." Romantic Love Letters in History

In honor of Valentine's Day I will be posting excerpts of love letters throughout history for the next couple of days. Letters will be from both real and fictional people. Jane Austen wrote some of the most romantic novels, with some very romantic love letters that I thought that it might be fun to look at other romantic love letters. Let the romance begin!


My Dearest Friend,


...should I draw you the picture of my heart it would be what I hope you would still love though it contained nothing new. The early possession you obtained there, and the absolute power you have obtained over it, leaves not the smallest space unoccupied.



I look back to the early days of our acquaintance and friendship as to the days of love and innocence, and, with an indescribable pleasure, I have seen near a score of years roll over our heads with an affection heightened and improved by time, nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the image of the dear untitled man to whom I gave my heart.


23 Dec 1782 Love letter from Abigail Adams to her husband John Adams.

If one reads other letters between Abigail and John one will notice that they use pen names. It was custom back them. Abigail used Diana, the Roman goddess of the moon and later in life she used Portia. However, Abigail always began her letters to her husband with My Dearest Friend. John used the pen name Lysander, a Spartan war hero.


The love between Abigail and John is still talked about today in the United State as one of the greatest American love stories.









Do you think this romantic? Do you have a favorite love letter?







No comments: